This is an infection involving the Candida yeast.
Candida is present in all of us and it normally lives in the gut in equilibrium with other resident organisms. Problems arise when this equilibrium becomes unbalanced, leading to an overgrowth of the yeast.
The infections from Candida are characterised by symptoms such as itching, burning, pain and dyspareunia (pain during intercourse). Sometimes, a whitish discharge can be seen. Recurrent infections are common, often because the symptoms are managed but not the cause.
When the vaginal ecosystem becomes altered and the pH changes it creates the ideal conditions for Candida infections to develop. This can happen as a result hormonal changes or the use of antibiotic therapies Other factors such as reduced immunity, diabetes and digestive disorders can also contribute to the development of Candida. Inappropriate hygiene methods plus the use of close fitting synthetic clothing may also contribute to recurrences.
DID YOU KNOW THAT....?
- Approximately 75% of all women suffer from at least one episode of vulvovaginal candida in the course of their life;
- In 40-50% of these patients, Candida is a recurrent problem;
- 18% of women with no symptoms have test positive for Candida infection;
- At any one time 5-8% of the women have active Candida symptoms;
- Children can also be affected by Candida.
DermaSilk Intimo briefs demonstrad their efficay in vulvovaginal Candidosis:
- Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidosis
“Use of DermaSilk briefs in recurrent vulvovaginal candidosis: safety and effectiveness.” Mycoses 2012
- Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidosis without treatment
“DermaSilk® briefs in recurrent vulvovaginal candidosis. An alternative option in long-lasting disease.”Minerva Ginecologica 2013
The briefs are also included in the first campaign against Candida and gyneacological infections realized by SIGO (Italian Society of Gyneacology and Obstetric).